Home » Featured, News

Youth for Western Civilization disbands as student group

27 March 2012 By Jordan Russell, News Editor 47 Comments
Without an advisor, the organization cannot be SGA affiliated
Matthew Hazlett/ The Towerlight

File Photo by Matthew Hazlett/ The Towerlight

Youth for Western Civilization is no longer a student group at Towson University, according to former YWC President Matthew Heimbach.

The group’s faculty adviser, mass communication and communication studies professor Richard Vatz, wrote a letter to Heimbach saying that he would no longer be the group’s adviser. With no adviser, the group is not able to be Student Government Association affiliated.

Heimbach said he received an email soon after from SGA President Matt Sikorski verifying YWC’s disaffiliation.

“They put so much pressure on our adviser and that caused him to drop out,” Heimbach said. “We can’t be on campus without an adviser, so they found a loophole. It was bad. It’s been an interesting ride.”

SGA President Matt Sikorski said that he felt there was no pressure put on Vatz and that the YWC was given a reasonable amount of time to find a new adviser. He said he first heard about YWC losing their adviser by word of mouth.

“We sent the letter on March 13, and essentially it notified them that they didn’t have an adviser,” Sikorski said. “We said they had until March 30 to find a new one and to report to us when they do. If not, they’d loose all privileges of being SGA affiliated. We have to make sure all groups are following what all groups have to follow.”

Vatz said he spoke with Associate Vice President for Campus Life Terri Hall and Vice President for Student Affairs Deb Moriarty about YWC before writing the letter.

“They [YWC] were using rhetoric in their arguments that I found were not appropriate,” Vatz said. “In my dealings with Deb Moriarty and Teri Hall pertaining to issues arising with this group, I found them [Hall and Moriarty] to be extremely professional and reasonable.”

In his letter, Vatz said that he attended the March 8 Unity in the Community Campus Forum discussion, which lasted for several hours, and had two concerns:

The letter states that “except for Black Student Union president Kenan Herbert, there was no one who expressed the slightest concern that YWC had been threatened, harassed and mistreated on campus,” and “no one sympathetic to YWC expressed the slightest concern regarding YWC’s frightening rhetoric, referring to political opponents as ‘cancer,’ using the words Islam and Muslim disparagingly, and referencing ‘disgusting degenerates that make up our opposition.’”

“I’m sorry, but that is not how impressive and serious conservatives argue their case,” Vatz said in the letter. “I realize that I have been your adviser only nominally, but I cannot in good conscience advise a group that attacks people or groups personally or tactlessly or does not recognize their dignity and the value of dignified argument in the marketplace of ideas.”

Heimbach said recent chalking incidents put YWC back in the spotlight.

“Chalking that I wasn’t directly involved in played a part. We found some of our freshman doing stupid stuff. My guys are basically angry and sad that they basically killed the group,” Heimbach said.

At Tuesday’s SGA meeting, President of the College of Libertarians Jordan Brooks said Heimbach had approached him about joining the College of Libertarians. Brooks agreed that former YWC members had the right to join the College of Libertarians and noted that they had a right to have their own beliefs, but was worried that they could have an impact on who they wanted in power.

Sikorski said he had talked with Brooks concerning this matter. At the meeting Tuesday, Sikorski said SGA affiliated groups can’t deny any students that want to join their group because part of a student’s tuition goes toward the SGA, but noted that he had talked to Brooks about actions to take so a situation like that wouldn’t occur.

If YWC members wanted to still unite, it would be possible, but they would not have any privileges or benefits that SGA affiliated groups have.

“SGA affiliated groups are the only ones that can rent space on campus,” Sikorski said. “But if I wanted to make a group with 10 others who like clouds, then we could essentially meet in the Den and just meet to talk. That’s what it means to not be affiliated.”

• Moose said:

When even a lunatic like Vatz doesn’t want to be associated with you, you know you have a problem.

• feels a little like Old School... said:

I am not at all a YWC supporter. They come off as the ultimate trolls, but this seems like a very suspicious and sketchy way to disband the organization without REALLY doing it. I’m not sure if I’m disappointed with Towson or excited that this club will no longer exist.

• Mike said:

This is disappointing they were interesting. Without them many of the conversations people had would not have happened. Maybe they can find another advisor.

• Geoff Lowry said:

Kenan was the only one concerned about the mistreatment of YWC through death threats etc? I said things against that to both Deb and at the Unity in the Community meeting against that and have talked to Matt about that.

Thanks for noticing.

• RL said:

The chalking freshman didn’t ruin the group. Your tactics did.

• Roach said:

How anti-climatic.

Oh well, hope no violent backlash comes back to anyone.

• why said:

rights for all, unless you disagree, way to go towson. ywc keep on fighting

• David (ACT) said:

Don’t forget, the conditions that allowed this group to exist are still present.

Towson has a policy against sexual harassment, but none regarding discrimination based on race, sexual identity, or anything else. This may surprise you, but it is the reason YWC were allowed to exist in the first place.

Nothing has changed. An identical group could form tomorrow. Towson University has no rules or policy governing this. We must pressure our administrators to change this, and to keep students safe on campus.

E-mail towsonact@gmail.com to get on the Activist Coalition of Towson (ACT)’s mailing list, and join us in making sure this scenario does not repeat itself.

• Kaba said:

Once the Towelight started publishing editorials from white supremacists not even connected to Towson, I knew it was a matter of time…

• SMH said:

A student group must find an advisor. Period. Vatz isn’t the only faculty member on campus.

Disbanding means that they cannot find a single faculty member across the entire institution willing to advocate on their behalf. Think about that.

Don’t blame the administration. Don’t blame the student body. They had their chance. They made their statements and they burned enough bridges across the institution that they have alienated anyone that wasn’t already associated with the group.

When that’s the case, they have no one to blame but themselves.

• Hedi Sandberg said:

Good, maybe now the Towerlight will report on the thousands of other things happening on campus.

• ACLU said:

Free speech for all. If you’re liberal.

• Matt Hill said:

The YWC is no loss as an organization. Their rhetoric was consistently inflammatory.

I had a lot of friends who wound up scared by their presence. I’ve seen a lot of people furious because they were around.

And I don’t think any of these perspectives led to constructive debate.

I’m all for free speech. I’d welcome a legitimate conservative group on campus, and I think we still have several, as a matter of fact, from a wide variety of religious groups, none of which invoke the level of fear and intolerance people associate with the YWC.

The thing the YWC never understood was that while everyone has freedom of speech, that freedom comes with the responsibility to judge what’s coming out of your mouth.

But, at the same time, there have been things learned that wouldn’t have been learned in other ways. Towson students have learned they can demonstrate, can protest, can get involved in the process. They have learned to take a stand.

And maybe now that the YWC has been disbanded we can keep the rhetoric going, keep debating, and look at the problems that aren’t just on this campus, but through the entire country.

• Colonel Warden said:

I’m sad to see the concept of a group that presents the other side of the issues leaving; it’s clear the majority of Towson cannot handle ideas that challenge their world view. They prefer to hide behind policies to limit free speech.

That said; as a group; they were a comedy of errors. This group clearly had no idea how to present issues, no idea how to get their message out in a decent way.

I hope someone will step up and ask the hard questions; but do it in a decent way. I hope someone will continue to challenge the annoyances we see every day.

Sadly I don’t’ see that happening. Towson Republicans and Towson Libertarians are like line items on a balance sheet. Hardly ever seen.

Things will go back to the way they were. The hard questions will not be asked; and we will go back to only hearing one side of the issue.

WYC had great potential; they squandered it, no sympathy there. They couldn’t seem to do any more than poorly drawn signs and chalking.

I have sorrow for the fact that a viewpoint is being lost. Not a white supremacist viewpoint; but a viewpoint that is not liberal and PC.

I’ve seen a lot of things in the news that are not good; and I wish that they had been brought out in academic debate, not stupid chalking.

• Ken said:

I’m glad YWC is gone, but not the way they left. This doesn’t solve racism at all, it just pushed it further underground. As long as there is prejudice in the hearts of people, YWC lives.

• GuerrillaActivist said:

Commence Operation Werwolf

• Dan G. said:

What is Operation Werwolf? It sounds like fun.

• Roach said:

Operation Werewolf was a half-assed attempt by the Nazis to give off the illusion that they were still in power.
    It’s a propaganda tool.

• rob said:

“I am not at all a YWC supporter. They come off as the ultimate trolls, but this seems like a very suspicious and sketchy way to disband the organization without REALLY doing it”

The main point is that they could not find another adviser. If they cant find another then the group can not be affiliated with SGA. And the fact that they could not find one speaks volumes about the group itself.

• chords said:

good riddance motherfuckers. go troll somewhere else.

• Ronald Arnold said:

“Anti-Racists” talk about the race problem, and how it will be solved by the third world pouring into EVERY White country.

They say the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY White country and ONLY White countries to “assimilate” (intermarry) with those non-whites. It’s really just the final solution to the White problem. It’s geNOcide.

They say they are Anti-racist, what they really are is anti-White; because Anti-racist is just a code word for anti-White.

• Edmund Xerts said:

I have *no* idea whether or not this group was behaving in a professional way. I am among those who are concerned with Whites being hounded out of our own countries. However I see no reason for any inflammatory rhetoric, and, *if* they called their opponents “disgusting” degenerates, that was a problem. Everything must be done on a professional level. That said, this absolutely was a sneaky way to end the group. And, it seems likely to me that various other racially-oriented groups occasionally use inflammatory rhetoric, while not losing faculty advisors. For example, many campuses have groups associated with “Brown Berets” and so on. Groups like that use inflammatory rhetoric. So we do have a situation in which White people are placed on unequal footing. This is done in the name of anti-racism, but anti-racism is thus unmasked as code for anti-White. It’s obvious from the thing, and we have to come to grips with this. There is no possibility of civilization if White people are prevented from freely associating and speaking their minds.

• Ronald Arnold said:

Africa for the Africans, Asia for the Asians, and White countries for EVERYONE!!?

Everybody says there is this RACE problem. Everybody says this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY White country and ONLY into White countries.

The Netherlands and Belgium are just as crowded as Japan or Taiwan, but nobody says Japan or Taiwan will solve this RACE problem by bringing in millions of third worlders and quote assimilating unquote with them.

Everybody says the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY White country and ONLY White countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-whites.

What if I said there was this RACE problem and this RACE problem would be solved only if hundreds of millions of non-blacks were brought into EVERY black country and ONLY into black countries?

How long would it take anyone to realize I’m not talking about a RACE problem. I am talking about the final solution to the BLACK problem?

And how long would it take any sane black man to notice this and what kind of psycho black man wouldn’t object to this?

But if I tell that obvious truth about the ongoing program of genocide against my race, the White race, Liberals and respectable conservatives agree that I am a naziwhowantstokillsixmillionjews.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-white.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-White.

• Evan said:

Edmund, you obviously have no idea what is goin on with this campus. Do you even go to Towson?

I don’t see how it is sneaky on how the group was ended. Simple point, no one but the eight individuals wants to be associated with YWCA. If no faculty/staff member wants to be their advisor–that’s is pretty bad, and who can blame them? YWC’s threatens to sue the school because they feel their 1st Amendment right was taken from them, blah…blah…blah. I think that if they acted more mature, less combatative, less contradictory, I think they would have succeeded as a group on campus. Their only motive, from what I’ve read, seen, and heard was to push and push.

Matt’s banal actions were quite tedious. When he was in front of the camera, he would say one thing, but then write/spew hate when he was hiding behind his computer.

Edmund, as far as your comment “I am among those who are concerned with Whites being hounded out of our own countries” what country are you talking about exactly? If you’re speaking of America? There is no room to talk…whites pushed my people, Native Americans, into small reservations…and yet, you are concerned that you are being pushed out? How about…get a fucking job, stop bitching that the coloreds are doing you wrong, and the Mexicans won’t have to “steal” the jobs that you lazy ass Americans don’t want to do in the first place. Moron.

• Evan said:

As for Arnold, you have said the same thing about 20 times in like three different posts. This has nothing to do with race, or “invasion of white countries” stop trolling. Get a fucking life, get out from behind the computer. It might do you some good and put a little color on your skin.

• 14.88.18 said:

Evan,

Your “Native American” ancestors were genocidal, Mongolian interlopers in Solutrean land.

Your tribal peoples constant raids, brutal scalpings, and vicious rapes made it very easy to hate you and do what needed to be done.

And today, having lived around “Natives” for a short period of time, I can say that they are probably the single worst minority group in America and the only reason you don’t hear more about them is because there are so few of you. The amount of child rape and thuggery against women was UNREAL.

• Evan said:

Well you’re at it, may as well throw in the contribution to the overflow of meth. I mean come on, since we’re generalizing all Native Americans, we might as well go full blown.

Not every nation is of what you speak of 14, but I’ll let you roll with that…because white is right. My bad.

• 14.88.18 said:

I want to make it clear to you that before I was in Montana for a bit, I had a really high opinion of your people.

You know, real Hollywood like. It was worse than depressing. It made me fucking angry. Like.. we should finish the job.

• Evan said:

I assume you are talking about the crow, Sioux, And Shoshone nations…and as history has shown us, they are very combatative. Again, you’re generalizing all nations. But there is crime in every culture…oh no, whites included-but lets not bring that up.

High corporate crimes, theft, manslaughter knocked down from murder because people are white, high cocaine abuse, high methamphetamine abuse, rape, child molestation…but you’re right, it’s only the coloreds who do these things.

• 14.88.18 said:

Bro, the media needs to invent White people [George Zimmerman] to blame crimes on.

• Roach said:

Oh fun, the white supremacist forum posters are back!

Which hate-mongering site are you from this time?

• 14.88.18 said:

Let’s just say we’re to the right of Stormfront.

• OleBob said:

In your opinion we are hater, supremacists, naziswhowanttokillsixmillionjews, etc, etc…

You are just saying that because we are White.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-White.

• Evan said:

Yes…we are all anti-white. Dipshit, there are a lot of white people who disagree with your banal antics. Does that make them anti-white? Really, is that all you got? Seriously, your rhetoric is getting old. Hmmm?

• 14.88.18 said:

The necessary political and economic conditions have yet to be achieved in order to bring the large majority of Whites to our side.

We are close, but there still needs to be another crash.

• Ronald Arnold said:

White People can never disprove we are “racist”, our very existence is seen as a form of “racism” by the so-called “anti-racists”.

They say all things White must become “diverse” or it is “racism”.

They say there should be no White countries, no White communities, no White schools, no White sports, no White social gatherings, etc, etc.

The anti-Whites give us Whites two choices: Accept White geNOcide or you are a “racist”.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-White.

• Evan said:

So what you’re saying is, “wo to the white man…we’ve been so unrepresented…stop discriminating against us because we’re white.” I don’t buy it.

I’m curious to see how many times you people are going to say the same shit.

• Ronald Arnold said:

If I hated a race, I might campaign to flood all of their countries with millions of people that are not their race, and tell everyone to “mix in”, until no people of that kind were left. If anyone objected, I would scream R-word! at them and get them fired from their jobs.

If I hated a certain race, I might do that. But I am not doing that. Anti-whites are doing it to White people in all White countries and only White countries.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-White.

• Ronald Arnold said:

Africa for the Africans, Asia for the Asians, and White countries for EVERYBODY!??

People say there is this RACE problem and this RACE problem will be solved when the third world pours into EVERY White country and ONLY into White countries.

They say the final solution to this RACE problem is for EVERY White country and ONLY White countries to “assimilate,” i.e., intermarry, with all those non-Whites.

It’s really just the final solution to the White problem. It’s geNOcide.

They say they are anti-racist. What they are is anti-White.

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-White.

• Ronald Arnold said:

What I am saying is Mass non-white immigration and assimilate for ALL White countries and ONLY White countries is genocide.

Since 1948, international law has defined genocide as the deliberate destruction, in whole or in part, of an ethnic, racial, religious or national group.

Mick Dodson, an Aboriginal leader who wrote the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission report “Bringing Them Home” along with Sir Ronald Wilson, has been quoted as saying: “assimilation is genocide”.

Is Mick Dodson a “racist”, or does he get a pass from you anti-whites because he`s a non-White?

Anti-racist is a code word for anti-White.

• 14.88.18 said:

Just a note to the moderator of the boards:

Not really cool at all censoring information. I guess some Jew doesn’t like the truth getting out?

Right. People have a right to know who was the aggressor in WWII [i.e. NOT Germany] and why the war happened and what the man actually said IN HIS OWN WORDS.

But.. I forgot, this is no longer the USA, but the JSA.

• 14.88.18 said:

What Do Holocaust Deniers Believe and Why Do they Believe It?
    —————————————————————–

• Evan said:

WOW!!! Now, now you morons are just spewing out whatever you can. I am shaking my head at you people.

Wow, people are stupid.

• RR said:

Ronald Arnold has it pegged. This silly brouhaha would never have occurred if this group was anything but White.

Many say they are anti-racist, but what they are is anti-White. Anti-racist is a codeword for anti-White.

• Matt Hill said:

Wait a minute? JSA? Since when have we been the Justice Society of America? Because chilling with Superman and Batman? That would just be awesome.

Ronald, you’re clearly insecure. Being white doesn’t matter. It’s just a meaningless aesthetic, or it should be. All you’re really doing here is spouting weak dogma.

Now, I’m going to lay decent odds that you and 14 are YWC members, or something close.

And the truth is that you’re cowards. Not because you won’t make a stand or go against the flow, because you’re clearly doing that. That’s actually easy. No, you’re cowards because you can’t find the courage to deal with people who are radically different from you. You are unable to question your prejudices, or your pride. You aren’t brave enough to back down from a stand once you’ve taken it, because you think it makes you look weak.

You aren’t brave enough to be moderate.

And it’s not just your problem. It’s true of every white supremacist, every theocrat, and every other person who takes a strong stand and can’t cope with the existence of the other side. And heck, I’ve seen them on both ends of the spectrum.

There’s a whole lot of cowardice in zealotry.

• Allen Mowrer said:

I might not have liked what they had to say, but its a slap to first amendment rights.
    Its important to be equal.
    Its important to be diverse.
    the word ‘white’ is not a bad word.

If we want to be able to say gay pride, then its important for people to be able to be able to express pride in other beliefs. If we want to be able to say ‘black pride’, then people need to be able to say ‘white pride’.

Im kinda glad they are gone, they upset the flow. But now that im thinking about it, we’re losing so much equality..it has to be equal for all, or its equal for none.

• dongerbong said:

Matthew Heimbach would make a great fascist. His last name even sounds very fascisty.