Home » Featured, News

Chick-fil-A sales up 7.5 percent

19 September 2012 By Dana Kobilinksy, Staff Writer 8 Comments

Despite the recent controversy in which Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy made a statement against same-sex marriage, Chick-fil-A sales in Susquehanna dining hall have increased by 7.5 percent.

Chick-fil-A has seen a significant increase in sales between Sept. 4 and Sept. 14, according to Joe Oster, assistant vice president of auxiliary services.

Sophomore elementary education major Alexa Sainz said she continued to eat at the restaurant despite the recent controversy.

“Although I don’t agree with the owner’s beliefs, I’m not going to boycott Chick-fil-A because I don’t agree with what the owner believes,” Sainz said.

Sainz said she is surprised that Chick-fil-A wasn’t affected by the controversy, though.

“[People still go there] probably because they want to make a statement that you shouldn’t have to boycott a restaurant because you don’t agree with someone else’s beliefs,” she said.

Some students feel that people should not choose where they eat because of the owner’s views on issues.

“I actually haven’t been to Chick-fil-A since the gay marriage scandal, but not for that reason,” sophomore mass communication major Kevin McNamara said. “I believe that every person has a right to have their own opinions, even though I disagree with the president of the food chain’s stance on same-sex marriage. All in all I think it’s pointless to choose a place to eat based on the views held by those who run the company.”

Sophomore deaf studies major Robyn Weintraub agreed with McNamara, and said although she doesn’t eat fast food, she supports Cathy’s rights to share his views.

“If I did eat fast food, I would consider eating at Chick-fil-A or any other fast food place,” Weintraub said. “I would not discriminate against the business itself due to people’s personal opinions.”

Weintraub said that boycotting Chick-fil-A would not have fixed the issue on its own.

“I think the act of boycotting is an initial reaction of our society in how people choose to express their sincere feelings to our population,” she said. “I think there is more to just boycotting the viewpoint that the owner [holds] about gay marriage.”

Oster said he believes that the increase in sales reflects Towson’s dining hall’s quality, not the controversy.

“The Glen is still doing really well at lunch, and Newell is still doing well at lunch,” he said. “Susq and Ptux are still even up. I think we have such a good dining program on campus and students are participating.”

People won’t give up Chick-fil-A so fast, Oster said.

“People happen to like Chick-fil-A a whole lot,” he said. “So boycotting is not something people are going to do. Self-interest always takes interest over politics. People want to make themselves happy.”

The company recently agreed to cease the donations and support to the anti-gay organizations, the Huffington Post reported.

In addition, the company issued a mandate that calls for the equal treatment of employees and customers.

• Roach said:

7.5%? Wow, another 8% and it might actually be statistically significant!

• Rachel said:

People don’t boycott chick fil a because of what the president of the company stands for. It’s because of where he funds his money. A percentage of his earnings FROM CHICK FIL A CUSTOMERS are going towards anti marriage equality orginaziations.

• Caitlin C. said:

I am actually very disappointed in the The Towerlight for the way this article was written. Its so pathetic that we would even consider saying that Chick-fil-a is going to change. No offense to Dana, but she did not even write about the other information that was presented in the article written by the Huffington post. The title literally says that everyone is questioning the “promises” that Chick-fil-a are giving to change its ways. The statement given by the Moreno states that “Chick-fil-A’s giving heritage is focused on programs that educate youth, strengthen families and enrich marriages, and support communities. We will continue to focus our giving in those areas. Our intent is not to support political or social agendas.”. No where in the article does it say that Chick-fil-a will be supporting anti-gay organizations. The only organization that they plan to support are the ones that support family and marriage, not gay marriage. The groups that they are giving money to are against gay marriage. The main group that they are funding is called The Marriage and Family foundation. The first sentence that is presented on their main page of The Marriage and Family website is “The Family Foundation believes in marriage as a lifelong union between one man and one woman, an institution of God and a foundation for civil society.” The only thing that Chick-fil-a plans to cease donations to is right wing groups that oppose same-sex marriage. But they are now going to give most of their money to organizations that promote traditional families (not families with two parents of the same sex) and marriage (not gay marriage). So Chick-fil-a has decided to give their money to someone else with the same views… I am not preaching to anyone, eat what you want to eat, people should just be informed about where their money is going to. These foundations can easily take that money that Chick-fil-a has given them (that You as the customer has given to Chick-fil-a) and give it to the right wing politicians that want to outlaw gay marriage in the US. I use to eat Chick-fil-a religiously, and then I found our that most of my money was going to foundations like this that are against something that should be a right. People should understand that by buying Chick-fil-a you are supporting these foundations and if you do not believe in the views that Dan Cathy has then why is your money going to the organizations that agree with and support his views?

• Lisa L. said:

I am no longer eating a Chick Fil A both because of the use of GMO canola oil and because I do not want my money funding groups that are against marriage equality. This article seems to be promoting Towson students to eat at Chick Fil A which is wrong- fast food is bad for people and we already have an obesity epidemic.

• Think before you eat said:

I was walking through Susq the other day and noticed a table with 4 people of color eating Chick-fil-A. My first thought was to ask them if they would still be eating Chick-fil-A food if the fast food chain donated to the KKK. You know, it is Dan Cathy’s right to have his own opinion right? What if the chain donated funds to organizations that burn the Quran? Would our Muslim students still eat at the chain?

I’m sorry, but the ignorance of the students and Towson University administration dumbfounds me. THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FREEDOM OF SPEECH OR MR. CATHY’S VIEWS ABOUT SAME-SEX MARRIAGE. What part of giving donations to hate groups doesn’t the student population and the administration get?

When there was an uproar last semester regarding hate towards people of color, the administration jumped. The administration has sent concerns regarding the presence of Chick-fil-A to the Presidents Council for discussion. What was the outcome?

As for the franchises statement, it was political. The franchise has now requested individuals to send donations directly to WinShape, where they will distribute them as they please.

Wake up people and smell the chicken! I thought TU only admitted the best and brightest.

• Mike said:

^^
    Someone clearly has too much time on their hands. That last comment, I don’t even know how to respond to that. It is very easy to get into TU.

• Caitlin C. said:

The fact that The Towerlight published such a biased article that presents discrimination to the LGBT community baffles me and it makes me ashamed to be a Towson student. This paper preaches equality in every issue but then puts out an article like this. Towson students need to start thinking about the choices they make and the consequences that will come from them. If you want to be considered as an adult than act like one.

• Tony D said:

Have you ever thought that some people APPROVE of chick fila’s position?

The militant gay thought police boycott backfired!

Sales are up!

KKK? please? Being anti gay marriage is not a hate crime.

You don’t like that we disagree with you. So talk, don’t semsor and cry “hate-crime” or “homophobe.”

I will purposely shop everywhere that millitant gays try to bully. For that is how I see it.

Orwellian thought crime belongs in sci-fi.