Reel to Real: Creeps, freaks and movie geeks
This is my third year writing this column, and if you’ve been with me a while, you know that I’m a horror and Halloween movie lover. What can I say? It’s so much fun to get scared! So this week kicks off a horror-themed month of Reel to Reals. We’ll start off with a quick quiz. Let’s see if you know as much about horror films as I do— and feel free to post questions and trivia of your own in the comments on the Towerlight web page!
1. Tim Burton is often incorrectly attributed as the director of which Halloween classic? (He created the characters and produced instead)
b. The Nightmare Before Christmas
c. Sleepy Hollow
d. Edward Scissorhands
2. In 2004, Bravo released its 100 Scariest Movie Moments. What movie got the No. 1 spot?
b. The Shining
c. The Omen
3. According to the IMDB, what is the current highest-grossing horror movie?
a. What Lies Beneath
c. The Ring
d. The Grudge
4. Which recent exorcism/demon movie was based on the true story of a young German woman supposedly possessed by demonic forces?
a. The Exorcism of Emily Rose
b. Paranormal Activity
c. The Last Exorcism
d. The Devil Inside
5. What horror film franchise is rumored to be cursed, due to the unusually high number of actor’s deaths soon after or during filming?
a. The Hellraiser series
b. The Grudge series
c. The Poltergeist series
d. The Paranormal Activity series
6. How did filmmakers manage to film Cillian Murphy wandering around a completely empty London in “28 Days Later”?
a. Building an incredibly realistic fake London in studio, complete with a fake Big Ben
b. Shutting down the entire city for six hours
c. Using lower-tech cameras and blocking off sections of the city at a time at early hours when not many people were out
d. Transported the people of London to New York City for the day
Answers: B, D, A, A, C, C