Home » Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Media bias in cover

5 December 2012 By Stephanie Hefter, Administrative Assistant in the International Student and Scholar Office 14 Comments

Nov. 29 cover of The Towerlight

As an alumna and now a full-time staff member, I was extremely disappointed to see that even The Towerlight has bowed down to media biases against Israel by blatantly printing the Palestinian flag an inch-and-a-half bigger than the Israeli flag on the cover of last Thursday’s edition Nov. 29.

With all of the talk around campus lately working to dispel racism and encourage tolerance, the Israeli-Palestinian situation should be no different.

As a media outlet, it is your job to present the facts fairly from both angles and let your readers come to their own conclusions.  Israel is an official country and should be respected as such.

You should be ashamed of yourselves, Towerlight staff.

>> For a link to the original story

• MAT student said:

Is this a joke?

You know, you must not read the Towerlight that often, or you’d know how little thought goes into editorial decisions. If you think this was done to make any sort of statement, you are a moron.

Please say you really aren’t that stupid?

• SMH said:

What other things do you use that ruler to measure?

• Poor Richard said:

I think it is a joke! The Isreali flag is above the Palestinian flag! This is the kind of attitude that prevents any progress in the middle east when it’s between anyone and Israel. “Your flag was 1.5″ higher than ours. I am going to kill you – In God’s name!”

Hey, whatever. Just leave the US the hell out of it folks!

The US should arm both the Palestinians and the Israelis equally or not at all. Unfortunately there is a HUGE disparity between how we arm and aid Israel and how we aid the Palestinians. I say let them piss it out among themselves!

While we’re on the subject of racism, let’s bring up apartheid. That’s what the Palestinians are subjected to by Israel. If you treat people like refugees in their own land they will behave desparately.

I vote it’s time to cut ties to both sides until they can act like civilized human beings.

• Rich said:

Hahahahahahahahaah wow hahahahaha this is classic. I can picture it now… (looks at front cover) “QUICK HONEY!, GET MY RULER!”

• TUBLACKANDGOLD said:

STEPHANIE HEFTER,
    If you are a full-time staff member, as you state in the first sentence of this abortion, than I will be dropping out after this semester.

One flag is 1.5 inches bigger? Who cares? What a waste of time. Go fuck yourself. You should be ashamed that you think you look compassionate and caring by complaining about the sizes of the flags on a shitty college newspaper.

Israel is not respected? The point of the picture is still achieved (you can clearly see both flags and can easily tell which flag represents what) and the article is far more important that this photo. How you got a job at a university blows my mind.

• superuser said:

The scary thing is that I think she is serious.

• Mike said:

Lol administrative assistant is the pc way to say secretary.

• TU Alum 2006 said:

Maravene Loeschke

She has an UNACCREDITED PHD in philosophy and she received a vote of no confidence from the faculty at the last school she was president at.

I know this is entirely unrelated to the article above but I am still trying to figure out how and why she was hired to be the president at our school.

I know she is a TU graduate and worked at Towson for several years but that doesn’t really cut it. I graduated from TU, if I work there for 30 years can I be president too?

This should be the question of the day until it is answered.

• MAT student said:

Yes, that is unrelated to this letter. Why did you feel the need to post this here? Why not send this as a letter to the editor? What is wrong with you?

• TigerFan said:

@MAT Student

I’m not going to respond aggressively because i don’t think it accomplishes anything. Also, you and I see eye to eye most of the time with regards to our comments.

I will say this though. The patronizing and condescending remarks you make in some of your comments come off like you are either very quick to anger or invest far too much emotionally in a college newspaper.

Take a chill pill, accusing people that they have something wrong with them makes you look like a jerk.

• Miggy said:

I think Mike Waddell is the problem here. Waddell obviously sides with the Palestinians over the Jews. If we want peace in Israel we need to fire Mike Waddell. SAVE ISRAEL, FIRE WADDELL!

• MaryKat said:

Agree with Miggy. Mike Waddell is an anti-semite. He is also anti-baseball and anti-soccer.

• Ron Vibbentrop said:

I think we should tax all foreigners living abroad.

• TUBLACKANDGOLD said:

I just saw on CNN that it was actually Waddell who planned 9/11.