Bad Luck Brandi: Chef Bad Luck Brandi
Through the course of living in an apartment, my cooking skills have improved. I got a little tired of buttered noodles and started spicing things up recently by making stuffed green peppers, salmon and tilapia. This semester I even made my own apple cider doughnuts from scratch.
But of course, I have made a few minor errors to learn from that have put a dent in my wallet and new kitchen supplies in our kitchen. At the beginning of the semester I was making quinoa, which I have made before, but in a different pot than normal. For some reason the water evaporated and the quinoa just completely and irreparably burnt the pot. I tried scrubbing it out, but there was no getting rid of the blackened bottom. A quick trip to Target to replace it was the only solution.
Several weeks later I was making my apple cider doughnuts. While following the recipe, I poured practically all of my vegetable oil into a pot because it required that I fry the doughnuts I made. It said to make sure the temperature was exactly 375 degrees. Having a gas stove, I figured I would just estimate, and by estimate, I meant turn it all the way up on “high.”
As the oil was popping and spraying, I slid the first doughnut in, only to turn black within five seconds. I immediately got our spatula and fished it out onto a slide plate. I then lowered the temperature and by process of trial and error realized that 375 degrees was more on the low side of a gas stove scale.
On my fifth or sixth doughnut, I saw that our red plastic spatula that I had been using to put the doughnuts in and retrieve them had turned pink and began crumbling in on itself. Realizing that fragments of the spatula may have possibly gone into the boiling oil or that it may have just melted into it, I had to calm myself down to believe that it was not poisoning the doughnuts that I had already spent hours making.
Originally the doughnuts were meant to be a thank you for a few people but then I was nervous I may kill them. I reassured myself by saying that I would eat a few and see if I died by the morning. After my taste test, I survived and they were pretty tasty.
Although I did go out and get a new spatula within the next week to replace the old one, and now my roommates joke that we will have all new kitchen appliances by the end of the year because of my mishaps.