Home » Featured, Lacrosse, Sports, Women's Lacrosse

Towson upsets No. 10 Georgetown

23 February 2014 By Matt Hamilton, Associate Sports Editor No Comments

Towson Head Coach Sonia LaMonica said before the season that her team was ready to compete with the nation’s best. She reiterated that statement after the win over UMBC on Wednesday.

It wasn’t until Saturday that it became reality, when the Tigers led wire-to-wire against No. 10 Georgetown (1-1) in a 14-10 win at Johnny Unitas Stadium.

“I think our guys had a valiant effort from start to finish, they never let up. We knew Georgetown was a good team, so I knew it was going to come down to the wire,” LaMonica said. “I think our girls have had a good taste of . . . what it feels like to be in this position. Now, we want to get comfortable here . . . we belong in this league.”

Towson (2-0) came out of the gates strong, putting pressure on the Georgetown defense and scoring the game’s first six goals.

Raymond continued her goal-scoring binge with the first two tallies of the game, both coming in the game’s first two minutes. On her first goal, Raymond caught a pass from sophomore attack Alyssa Ferro off the bounce and put it in the net. Her second goal came unassisted.

Raymond finished with four goals and three assists.

“[Georgetown is] a top-10 ranked team, so obviously we wanted to beat them,” Raymond said. “Coming out and making a statement early helped us throughout the entire game; it set the tempo and got us fired up.”

Junior midfielder Paige Duncan controlled the draw after Raymond’s goal and a few passes later, scored to put the Tigers up 3-0 less than three minutes into the game. Raymond was credited with the assist.

Senior attack Ashleigh Rohrback got on the board next, as she beat Georgetown goalie Barb Black for the fourth Towson score. Black was taken out of the game after the goal, which was assisted by Raymond as well.

Shortly after the Rohrback goal, junior goalie Kelsea Donnelly stuffed a free position attempt from the Hoyas, keeping the game at 4-0. Instead of cutting into the Tiger lead, the Hoyas saw it increase after Raymond notched her third goal, just less than seven minutes into the game.

Just 32 seconds later, Ferro made it 6-0 with her first goal of the 2014 season. Freshman attack Gabby Cha found Ferro, who got the ball past new Georgetown goalie Maddy Fisher.

The Hoyas got on the scoreboard with 18:43 left in the first half, when attack Corinne Etchison found a gap low on Donnelly and sent it in for the goal. Donnelly had four saves before conceding the goal.

“With Georgetown, they’re really good shooters, so I know they are going to place the ball where I’m not,” Donnelly said. “I just need to watch the ball and watch where they are going to place their stick and just be ready for what they are going to give me at any time. You just have to be forward and ready all the time.”

Towson responded with two more goals in an eight minute span, from Raymond and junior attack Taylor Moore.

At 8-1 with 4:06 remaining, Hoyas attack Caroline Tarzian beat Donnelly with a shot unassisted to cut the deficit to six goals. The Hoyas earned two free position attempts in the next three minutes and on the second, midfielder Kelyn Freedman’s shot got by Donnelly to make it 8-3.

Freedman scored again with 11 seconds left in the half to give Georgetown the momentum going into the break.

The Hoyas continued their scoring streak into the second half, as attack Meghan Farrell made it 8-5 off of a pass from Etchison.

Another Donnelly save stopped the bleeding for Towson, which went on a 3-0 run to increase the margin to 11-5.

The run started with a full-field pass from senior midfielder Katie Leech, which bounced and was caught by Cha, who scored. Sophomore Breanna Hamm and Rohrback added the next two goals for the Tigers.

Down six goals, Georgetown earned four quick free position attempts. Donnelly and the Towson defense halted the first three, but Tarzian was able to get by Donnelly to make it 11-6 with less than 15 minutes left.

The Tigers would not hesitate to respond, tacking on two more goals from freshman midfielder Samantha Brookhart and Ferro in the next three minutes to expand the lead to 13-6. The Hoyas would outscore the Tigers 4-1 the rest of the way, but could not climb all the way back.

Towson will have a week break before traveling to Syracuse, N.Y., to face the No. 2 Syracuse on Sunday, March 2.

Face-off is set for 1 p.m.



Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

Formatting help »

By posting a comment you acknowledge and accept the following policy. Any material published on TheTowerlight.com may be used in the print edition. The Towerlight reserves the right to remove any comment from our website at any time for any reason. Online comments do not reflect the views of The Towerlight.