Pitch Please: Today’s tracks
Here’s the top five singles I chose to uplift your spirits in this issue of Pitch Please.
1. Pharrell Williams – “Happy” – It’s a worldwide No. 1 hit with an Oscar nomination and the first single from Producer of the Year winner Pharrell Williams’ album ‘G I R L.’ An album that is quite good, by the way. It reminds the listener of a peppier version of Booker T & the MG’s “Green Onions” and lifts your spirits each time you hear it.
2. John Legend – “All of Me” – Thanks to his Adele-like Grammy performance consisting only of his vocals, a piano and a spotlight highlighting his wife Chrissy Teigen, John Legend has scored the biggest hit of his career.
3. Katy Perry – “Dark Horse (feat. Juicy J)” – With “Unconditionally” being c*ckblocked by the long lasting impact of “Roar” last year, the fan favorite went all the way to the top, even without the Egyptian themed video’s assistance.
4. Alec Blacc – “The Man” – When people still believed that the 49ers were going to get a second consecutive shot at the Super Bowl, “The Man” was the soundtrack to a Beats by Dr. Dre commercial starring quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Even though Kaepernick and Co. didn’t make it to the big show, Blacc’s self-boasting anthem still struck a chord with its listeners.
5. Bastille – “Pompeii” – A song about an ancient disaster has never sounded so epic. The song’s militant drums, Gregorian chants and lead singer Dan Smith’s heavy accent makes for alternative gold. P.S. there is no symbolic meaning behind the song.