Home » Lacrosse, Sports, Women's Lacrosse

Towson falls in OT

9 March 2014 By Matt Hamilton, Associate Sports Editor No Comments

Despite holding a late one-goal lead, No. 19 Stanford midfielder Hannah Farr’s game-winning free position goal handed No. 11 Towson its third straight loss, by a score of 8-7 in overtime, Friday night at Johnny Unitas Stadium.

After winning their first two games over UMBC and No. 14 Georgetown, the Tigers (2-3) have fallen to three ranked teams in the last eight days. The Tigers lost at No. 2 Syracuse, 12-7, on Sunday and No. 17 Johns Hopkins, 12-8, on Wednesday.

“It’s been a grind; there’s no question about that,” Head Coach Sonia LaMonica said. “We’ve really made it much harder on ourselves than we needed to in the fundamentals of lacrosse. We can’t afford to make
silly errors, specifically against good teams.”

The Cardinal (5-1) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the game’s first minute, marking the second straight game that opponents have scored first against the Tigers.

Midfielders Meg Lentz and Anna Kim beat Tiger goalie Kelsey Donnelly, both unassisted.

It was a game of runs for Towson, as it would score the next three goals to take the lead with less than 10 minutes remaining in the first half.

Sophomore attacker Alyssa Ferro made it 2-1 with a free position goal, followed by freshman midfielder Samantha Brookhart three minutes later to tie the game.

Brookhart found senior attacker Ashleigh Rohrback, who scored her sixth goal of the season to give the Tigers a 3-2 lead with 9:28 left in the half.

The Cardinal, however, would take the momentum short after, notching another three-goal rally to regain the lead.

Lentz started the run with her second goal, and midfielders Lucy Dikeou and Julia Burns combined for the next two goals to make it 5-3.

Rohrback added a late goal to cut the deficit to one before half.

Towson outshot Stanford in the half, 12-11, but had trouble beating Stanford goalie Lyndsey Munoz.

Senior attacker Andi Raymond opened the second half with two consecutive goals, both unassisted, to give the Tigers a 6-5 lead. Raymond’s second goal came when she ran across the circle and beat Munoz with
a hard shot to the left side of the goal.

“Andi has been extremely consistent, which is something you need your leaders to be,” LaMonica said. [She] has really been that player for us with her tenaciousness and drive to want to compete and win. [She]
is going hard and making things happen for us.”

Just over a minute later, Farr knotted the game a 6-6 with a free position goal with 22 minutes remaining in the game.

Farr finished with two goals and one assist.

The game would remain tied for almost 10 minutes, when junior attack Taylor Moore hit the top left corner of the goal to give Towson a 7-6 lead with just over 12 minutes left.

With 3:51 remaining, Cardinal midfielder Alex Poplawski tied the game back up after she beat Donnelly for the goal.

The game went to overtime, where Farr beat the first period buzzer by .5 seconds to win the game.

LaMonica said the fatigue of playing six games in six days might have led to costly turnovers.

“Honestly, it was catching and throwing. We had a number of possessions that we quite literally threw away,” LaMonica said. “Maybe it was because of fatigue and the last two games taking its toll. We have to be strong and focused even when we are tired.”

Towson will be back in action when it travels to Loyola in Baltimore on Wednesday.

The game is set to start at 7 p.m.

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

Formatting help »

By posting a comment you acknowledge and accept the following policy. Any material published on TheTowerlight.com may be used in the print edition. The Towerlight reserves the right to remove any comment from our website at any time for any reason. Online comments do not reflect the views of The Towerlight.