Home » Soccer, Sports, Women's Soccer

Tigers left feeling Blue

1 September 2014 By Nicole Gould, Staff Writer No Comments
Early goal proves to be game winner at Towson on Friday in first home game of the 2014 season
Kelly Miller/ The Towerlight

Kelly Miller/ The Towerlight

Coming off of a 2-0 win over the Xavier Musketeers (0-2-0) in the JMU invitational, Towson (1-1-1) fell to the DePaul Blue Demons, 1-0, on Friday afternoon in their home opener at the Tiger Soccer Complex.

“DePaul’s a very good team,” Head Coach Greg Paynter said. “They’re an NCAA tournament team and they showed that in the first half and maybe we gave them a little too much respect.”

The Blue Demons controlled the ball for most of the first half, putting senior goalkeeper Erin Quinn and the rest of the Tigers defensive line to the test.

The Tigers continued to put up a fight, but with miscommunication at midfield in the sixth minute, the Blue Demons’ Abby Reed took advantage and made a breakaway towards Quinn.

With a slight touch to the left, Reed put the ball into the back of the net, giving the Blue Demons the 1-0 lead.

“[DePaul] certainly had most of the game and we were chasing it a little bit,” Paynter said. “We made a communication mistake and it leaves a really good player open on a breakaway and she’s too good to miss that.”

With 19 seconds left in the first half, Blue Demons Sara Brathwaite threatened the Tigers with a shot toward the lower corner of the net. However, Quinn came up with the save.

Kelly Miller/ The Towerlight

Kelly Miller/ The Towerlight

At the end of the first half, the Blue Demons held onto the 1-0 lead over the Tigers.

“Defensively we’re doing exactly what we need to do and that isn’t just one unit, that’s our entire team,” Paynter said. “Specifically our four backs have done a tremendous job all season.”

After the half and for the next 45 minutes, the Tigers continued to pressure the Blue Demons defensive line, outshooting them 4-2.

Opportunity arose in the final 20 minutes of the game after senior midfielder Katie Ponce took a shot on Blue Demons goalie Alejandria Godinez that went wide and the Tigers earned a free kick by senior defender Taylor Knier.

In the 79th minute the Blue Demons threatened after Reed chested a pass from a teammate past Quinn and into the net, but the goal was later taken back because of an offsides call.

“We fought back and we really put them under some pressure,” Paynter said. “I think we certainly had the better of the play in the second half, but they were able to get a goal and we weren’t today.”

Quinn tied Godinez with two saves, while the Blue Demons outshot the Tigers 8-4 and held a 4-1 corner kick advantage.

“I think it was a fair result,” Paynter said. “They were a little bit better than us today, but I think we showed the type of team that we’re going to be this year in the second half.”

After playing against the Georgetown Bulldogs, Sunday, Aug. 31 Towson will return Friday to face Fairfield.

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

Formatting help »

By posting a comment you acknowledge and accept the following policy. Any material published on TheTowerlight.com may be used in the print edition. The Towerlight reserves the right to remove any comment from our website at any time for any reason. Online comments do not reflect the views of The Towerlight.